The long awaited British summer is finally here (writing this as the rain pours outside).
Restrictions are lifting, so entertaining outside has become one of the ways we can get our social lives back on track. We asked One World – a Swyft partner and furniture retailer based in London – to share their thoughts on how to create the ideal alfresco experience.
Finally, our days are filled with warm summer evenings, family BBQ’s, and a general alfresco life. After the last year, we want to truly savour these long days and create an outdoor space that feels as warm and welcoming as the rest of our homes.
It’s important you can bring the comforts of inside outside and create the perfect alfresco setup. So, we’ve come up with five key tips you need to ensure your alfresco life is en-point.
- Candles and lanterns. An easy way to enhance the atmosphere and carry you through to the evening with a gorgeous glow. Use different sized candles and lanterns to help add layers, texture and ambience to the evening. Lanterns protect candles from the wind, so are an important element to alfresco.
- Be ready to serve. Always keep a huge wine cooler on the table so there’s no need to be rushing back and forth from the kitchen. Wine coolers also give the table that restaurant feel, so it helps add a luxury feel to the table. Bonus if you have a drinks trolley that can be wheeled outdoors, so your guests can just help themselves.
- Bring the garden to the table with extra greenery. Either with a huge jug of fresh flowers as a centrepiece, or a few planted pots dotted along the table can enhance the simplest setting. No judgement if you add a couple of faux flowers to the mix.
- Trays are key. Not only do they make serving and clearing up a breeze, but it’s the perfect way to make a focal point and display your candles on the table.
- Get comfortable. Outdoor furniture can often be uncomfortable, so make sure your guests have cushions to sit or rest on. Cushions also add colour to the table and help bring the inside out. Throws are a good idea in case guests get cold in the evening, it’s also a nice addition to the table and can be placed over the top of each chair.
For more inspiration when it comes to entertaining and dining – check out Afternoon tea with Benji Ebuehi and How to style a Bonfire Night themed Dinner Party. Or head over to Parsons Green, London to browse the beautiful One World store – it’s also home to some of our collections.