You’ve found the perfect sofa, it matches the decor, the colour is fabulous, it’s incredibly comfortable but, the question everyone should keep in mind, how long will it last? As one of the most-used pieces of furniture, of course, you want it to last a long time, especially if you’re spending a pretty penny on it.
On average, a sofa should last anywhere between 7 to 15 years, providing it’s properly maintained on a regular basis. While you can get it reupholstered or buy new cushions to give it a refresh, sometimes it’s best to let it go and look for a new one. Here we’ll be sharing our expert tips on what to look out for when it’s time to replace your beloved sofa and how our own Swyft sofas can stand the test of time.
How do you Know When a Sofa Needs Replacing?
Over the years your sofa will go through a lot of wear and tear. But, there are a few signs to look out for to know when your sofa either needs replacing or refreshing.
- The frame is squeaky - if the frame creaks every time you sit on the sofa, then it’s likely on its last legs (literally). Although, sometimes this could be a fixable problem. Check if the screws, nut and bolts are all properly tightened and use wood oil or polish if possible to ease the squeaking. But, if the problem persists, chances are it is simply time for a new one.
- The cushions have lost their bounce - if plumping your cushions isn’t reviving them back to their naturally bouncy self, then they are probably worn beyond repair. You could always buy new cushions but you may not be able to find exact matches.
- The fabric is torn or stained - while many stains can be removed if taken care of quickly, sometimes, over enough time, they can sink too deeply into the fibres. Fabric and leather sofas can also tear after a lot of use so if you notice any tears or deep stains it’s time to say goodbye.
- There’s an overwhelming odour - whether you have pets, kids, or tend to eat on the sofa, spillages, stains and bad smells are inevitable. Most of the time you can clean the sofa cushions and they’ll be as good as new again, but, if smells still linger it’s time to ditch it.
- It doesn't suit the space - if you’ve moved home and can’t get your old sofa to fit or it doesn’t suit the aesthetic of your new home, then it’s probably time to start looking for a new one.
How Often Should you Replace your Couch?
If you start to notice any of the above points, from squeaky frames and torn fabric to lacklustre cushions and odd smells, it’s best to start looking for a new sofa. Generally, sofas will remain in their prime condition for at least 7 years. After that, if the sofa isn’t cared for or maintained properly it can deteriorate. Plus, you may find that your personal style and taste has changed over the years so you’ll want to swap out your sofa for a more modern one.
How often you should replace your sofa also depends on the amount you spent on it. Typically more expensive sofas can last a lot longer, potentially even up to 15 years, whereas cheaper sofas made with lower-quality materials will fade quicker. A sofa really is an investment piece so we highly recommend you take your time and do your research before buying one.
You’ll also need to take into consideration how much your sofa will handle over the years. Will you have pets or children jumping on it? Will it be a sofa for the whole family or just for you? These factors will have an effect on how long the sofa will last and how often you’ll need to replace it.
What Makes Swyft Sofas Stand the Test of Time?
At Swyft, we’ve taken all of these points into consideration when constructing our sofas. In fact, we’ve been so picky about the quality of our sofas that we weren’t happy with anyone else making them! So, we built our own factory in Portugal to create the long-lasting sofas and armchairs we think everyone deserves. Here’s why we’re sure that our sofas will stand the test of time and last longer than your average:
1. What is the Sofa Frame Made of?
Swyft sofa and armchair frames are made out of solid hardwood. The construction is sturdy and has passed the highest standards when it comes to usage tests. Basically, not even baby elephants can break our sofas! Our sofas come flat packed too, which is great for getting them into tight spaces. And, our Swyft-lok technology ensures that you can assemble our sofas all by yourself. No help or tools are required, the modules simply slot and click together. The fastening between the arms and back are made of aluminium and steel and although they may be small, they are mighty!
2. What Material are the Cushions Made of and How are they Constructed?
Our cushions are made with a dual-layered foam and polyester fibre which offers a full, soft look and feel while still being highly durable which strikes the perfect balance between comfort and practicality. These special layers are then wrapped up by our strong FibreGuard fabrics that won’t stain or rip at the seams. Learn more about how to choose the most comfortable sofa style.
3. Is the Fabric Stain Resistant and Durable?
We chose to use FibreGuard fabrics for our sofas for its stain-resistant properties as well as its durability. We wanted to ensure that our range of furniture could be both kid-friendly and pet-friendly. Each fibre of our fabric is stain resistant, rather than just having a coating on it that can wear out over time. This means that it’s very easy to remove stains and clean Swyft sofas. The fabrics have also passed rigorous tests and have achieved a rating of 100,000 on the Martindale Scale. As a frame of reference, heavy use is classed as 20,000 and above, while commercial use is classed as 30,000 and above.
4. Is there a Warranty or Guarantee on the Lifespan of the Sofa?
Yes! We believe in the quality of our product so strongly that we offer a 15-year frame warranty and a 2-year fabric guarantee. If anything goes wrong, you can count on us to be here and make it right! We’re also so confident that you’ll love our sofas and armchairs that we offer a 100 day trial period. If you don’t love your Swyft sofa in that time, just let us know and we’ll take it back free of charge, no questions asked.
Discover everything there is to know about buying a brand new sofa in our ffabric sofa buying guide!